This is an article for all developers, not just the big ones. I found these tips super useful:
- Make a good app. doesn't have to be great, but not garbage.
- Use your family and friends for first review and ratings.
- Use review exchange networks, such as AppReview.me.
- Be proactive and ask your users to rate you.
- Use analytics to find the right time and location to ask for reviews.
- Learn from negative review, using tools like Apptentive.
- Find to most engaged users you have and target them for review.
This is the nutshell. Simply great.
The full article here: